Thursday, February 9, 2012

Warhol Seeks the Individual


I confess I am no art fan. 

I know I should be and go to museums with the best of intentions but usually am in and out in less than an hour. 
 

Art such as Andy Warhol and his Soup Can, don’t even get the Clark Griswold’s Grand Canyon “nod and run”  So I was surprised at my interest in Steve Bennett’s article, Warhol’s Reality Show, in San Antonio’s Express-News, S.A. Life section of the 2/5/12 Sunday edition.

In it he mentions Warhol’s devout Catholicism, of which I had no idea, so I had to give this Studio 54 going, Factory legend and 1960s culture darling another longer look.
Since Catholicism teaches that Jesus seeks the individual; His living stones, I interpreted Warhol’s “Big Torn Campbell’s Soup Can (Pepper Pot), as our human desire for God and how we should seek to shed American culture’s love of sameness and uniformity. 

Don’t know if that was his intention, but what I do know is that art is always up to individual interpretation.  So, I guess I’m safe.

I look forward to seeing the rest of his collection, “Andy Warhol: Fame and Misfortune,” at the McNay Art Museum this spring and drawing closer to God. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Saw your announcement on Mark Shea. Welcome to the blogsophere.

    ReplyDelete